Sunday, November 20, 2011

At You I Stare In Disbelief

-
I wrote this a while ago (mid-November, when #JeddahFire had just happened and the Egyptian protests were raging) and never got around to posting it. It's somewhat dated, but -I hope - still relevant, and decided to post it anyway.
-

These days, the thoughts - the emotions - that cross my mind most when watching the news or when I'm on Twitter are ones of horror, pain (only something non human would not feel pain).... but most of all, disbelief.

Disbelief. Surprise. Shock.

Because most of all, what I think is:

How can this be happening? How can this all be true? It can't be true!

It all sounds like a cruel joke.

How can the great heroes of the Egyptian revolution still be suffering? January 25th, your fighting spirit has returned; but never again did we want to see the likes of January 28th.

How can the grand Midan el-Tahrir - Freedom Square - echo once again with screams and cries of pain, choked with tear gas and riddled with rubber bullets - but resound with chants of freedom?

HOW CAN THE BLOOD OF THE MARTYRS HAVE BEEN WASTED?

How can the brave sons and daughters of Syria still be suffering under their wicked tyrant?

How can things be the way they are?

Closer to home... In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, one of the richest countries in the world - how can a girl's school burn down and cause numerous injuries, and several deaths?

The same city that saw tens killed and injured and millions in property damage in the past two years, because of flooding - from *rain*? The same city where people, now, in the winter with the rainy season coming up, look up to cloudy skies with worry clouding their own eyes?

The same city where I have seen no tangible improvement, nothing to prevent the same thing from happening again?

World, at you I stare in disbelief.

People - mankind - all of humanity -

At you I stare in disbelief. At our future, I eye in apprehension and stark fear. The rage at our present is building.

And then I roar -

ENOUGH!


1 comment:

  1. Its a shame, all whats going on in Saudi Arabia. Its a shame everything is being hidden from the media, people are shut up and no one has the right to ask for a better country, the birthplace of our Prophet(SAW). When I first heard of protests starting up in KSA, I was very scarred of any harm on the sacred places there. I was even more scarred of any interference from the western world. But I dream as an Arab and a Muslim for a better Saudi Arabia, were Islam is truly implemented with its justice and women's rights. And I see the Arab spring starting in Tunisia and then in my Egypt, and so it goes from one dictatorship to the other, demolishing all the miseries thats taking place, but taking far more lives with it. Its sad but so true and hopeful. I wish we could see more change in KSA, with all the safety we hope for it :)
    Salam dear, Love ur blog... Amira @converse89

    ReplyDelete